Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Weakly Natter

Gardening:Mowed the lawn for the third time this summer.Not bad, considering that by September it looked like one of those landscape pics from the Mars Rover. Started on the bit I hope to turn into a wee veggy patch - a section not utilised by the puppy training classes given by the missus. Seedlings in, at this stage a colourful variety of chard, a gemsquash, some mustard greens and a few marigold.

The green thing there is the 'pet loo', I bought it from the 'Saints' charity stall, and is reputed to turn all your dog shyte into compost, judging by the seedlings I put around it initially, its working, so I've started the patch from that point...

At the start of spring I stared an (experimental) container planting system in the back yard, sort of a semi-hydroponic thing. It's no great shakes. I think I have the soil too rich at this point or something, the veggies are growing, but sloooowly, at this stage I expected masses of product and a market garden stall on the pavement - perhaps I'm just impatient and should be happy with the half dozen beans I've got from it. Of course,the fact that a couple of the dogs, particularly Faolin the Border Collie, has taken a liking to squash leaves hasn't helped at all.












I have been practising a spot of guerrilla gardening in my own garden by planting vegetable odds and sods in odd areas, this has proved more successful than the bloody carefully tended parts - go figure!





I'm at present well into working on Marc Latilla's graphic novel, about 9 pages in, 6 inked, 5 lettered the rest still in various stages of completion. Here's page one:







Stuff that's come into my dimension this week: Northlanders No.5, the conclusion of the 'Metal' storyline. I've been following Brian Wood's stuff since I picked up a trade of DMZ, a series I thoroughly recommend. Northlanders is based in Viking Lore and is equally as unputdownable as DMZ.
Zola Jesus'
latest release, Stridulum 2, a great album indeed.
The Scott Walker documentary '30th Century Man', I haven't watched it yet, its on the menu for this evening. I've been a fan of Scott Walker's music for years, from his early stuff with the Walker Brothers to what he's doing these days - the utterly fantastic 'The Drift', nothing like his early stuff at all but the same incredible voice.

Check out the video for Jesse by Scott Walker

No comments: