Saturday, August 20, 2011

Damn Cats



Don't get me wrong, I think I prefer cats to dogs, somewhat independent (except when I'm typing /reading/eating/sleeping), cool and calculating.

Tubby, is my old lady, around 14 years old, she's had me since she was a kitten. She was an only child and had ample teat to sustain her and hence , got a little rotund (her longer fur added to the effect) and my daughter christened her Tubby. She's survived dogs, rampant strays and a house burning down.

She grew to be a slip of a thing, eats like a gannet but doesn't gain weight. Recently I noticed her swearing profusely whilst tucking into a bowl of nosh, in some instances getting so upset she'd not eat! So, off to the vet, and as I suspected, Tubby's got a rotten tooth, inflamed gums being a result. Now, a cat of Tubby's vintage can't just go have the thing out, nope, the anesthetic could kill her. One full dose of anti-biotics to start with.Blood tests show that her thyroids dicky and her kidneys are wonky, so they have to be stabilised before any extraction can take place (the vet says the damn thing might just fall out anyway.)

So now Tubby's (understandably) a picky eater, what with the tablets ground into the food and then laced with anti-biotics its essential she eats. So now we have a cat who won't eat what I put in front of her - she will  (and always has) steal scraps wherever she may find them - even the sink, so I fool her by putting her bowl in the sink. This worked for a while till she got wise to this.

Now my mornings are spent trying to trick the beast into eating. Tubby'll moan and wake me up for breakfast but now the games afoot. Special treats, gravy, marmite etc etc etc are all utilised in the quest to get cat to eat. Bowls placed in various location, food left in the cat tin (she loves to scoop the food out with a paw), different bowls (so it looks like, obviously superior, human food) - everything.
Eventually she does - and then wants more.

Damn cats!

No comments: